Sunday 23 September 2012

A late spring clean...

I've gotten a bit of a stress on for clearing up and clearing the house of late. We've only been here two years and I thought we'd binned a lot of junk when we moved but junk just seems to breed when you're not looking. Surfaces in every room get cluttered with stuff that is put down for a minute until we can find a home for it and then that becomes it's home. It's maddening and you reach a point where you think you've tidied up  then you realise you've just worked back to the level of untidiness you're accustomed to.

Today I went to Costco and came home with one of those chrome wire racks that they do for the kitchen. We've got a few already, I keep the towels and bedding on one in our airing cupboard and Big keeps his comic book coffin boxes on another couple in our spare room. Now I have another one actually in the kitchen where they belong. It's now home to our bins on the bottom shelf, both general waste and recycling - off the floor where I can get cleaned around and under then more easily. The next shelf holds my baking bowls, my cake decorating toolkit and bobs (yes, I keep all my sugarcraft stuff in a toolbox, and?), foil, cling film, baking parchment and polybags on the next one and then slowcooker and other electrical gadgetry on the top. I'm not sure that's how it's going to stay, I might move some stuff off and swap it for other stuff but at the moment I'm happy. It's cleared some space from the worktops, made the stuff I use daily a bit more accessible and gives at least the impression that those things belong there rather than were just put down there for a moment and forgotten.

I'm not even done yet, I've also bought a proper big clothes drying rack. Very big actually, so big that once I'd unfolded it I realised I don't have anywhere I can put it where it won't dominate the entire room. However, it's better than using the sides off Small's cotbed to hang clothes on when I get the laundry out on the line. And it being in the way means it's more likely I'll fold and sort it as soon as it's dry. I've already made a start on clearing away old toys of Small's and will be tackling other ignored corners of clutter as I go over the next few weeks.

I have no idea what's got into me.

No comments:

Post a Comment